Are Salt Lamps Safe for Pets?
Himalayan salt lamps have increased in popularity in recent years. Not only do they offer a warm, gentle glow to your room, but they also offer a long list of health benefits for humans. "Himalayan salt lamp benefits supposedly include decreasing air pollution, negative ions and electrosmog caused by electronic devices in addition to symptom reduction for people suffering from from asthma, allergies and other illnesses."
HEALTH BENEFITS OF HIMALAYAN SALT LAMPS FOR HUMANS via Dr. Axe.
Click the image or HERE to learn more about where salt lamps come from or for more details on how they are beneficial for human health.
While this is a great overview of how Himalayan salt lamps benefit people, are they actually safe for your pet?
SAFE FOR PETS?
Salt lamps are made of - well, salt. Pets do have a daily recommended dose of salt and if they ingest too much of it at once, it can be very harmful, effecting their liver and an overdose could potentially be fatal.
According to the Pet Poison Helpline, "Salt poisoning in dogs and cats results in clinical signs of vomiting, diarrhea, inappetance, lethargy, walking drunk, abnormal fluid accumulation within the body, excessive thirst or urination, potential injury to the kidneys, tremors, seizures, coma, and even death when untreated."
So while the lamp being present in the room does not cause harm to your pets, it can be dangerous if your pet decides they want to lick it.
This can be a simple fix by placing it in an area or room where there are no pets allowed. Or you can simply place it on something where your pets can't reach. This is harder to do with cats who have more of a tendency to climb, but maybe reconsider keeping one in your home if you notice your pets are interested in it.
If you suspect that your pet has consumed a toxic amount of salt, take them to a veterinarian asap, or call the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 (a $49 fee per incident applies).
Do you have a salt lamp?